Handmade Advent Calendar + 24 Holiday Activities
A few years back we started the holiday tradition of creating and keeping an advent calendar. I love that it encourages us to savor the holiday season, as well as keep us on track in terms of holiday preparations.
This year we decided to use a magnetic board that we had on hand. We attached rows of twine with magnetic clips on the back of the board (see above) and added 25 little envelopes to the twine using wooden clips. With a touch of colorful red washi tape and a list of advent activities (secretly inserted into the envelopes by me), we are set to go.
Here are the activities that we have lined up this year (in no particular order)…
- Decorate the tree.
- Research winter holiday traditions around the world.
- Make holiday cards for teachers.
- Make pomanders.
- Clean out closets and donate winter coats, sweaters, and gloves to families in need.
- Listen to holiday music & drink hot cocoa (love this hot chocolate station).
- Read favorite holiday books.
- Create holiday floating candle jars.
- Make twig stars.
- Make and hang evergreen wreaths.
- Create a fresh batch of holiday hang tags.
- Make Great Grandma Bettye’s candy cane cookies.
- Have a gingerbread men (via MPMK) baking playdate.
- Go for a hike and collect winter items for our nature area.
- Research the science, history, and traditions of the winter solstice.
- Have a paper snowflake making party.
- Purchase a gift for a family in need.
- Watch holiday movies.
- Make our annual family calendar.
- Add a new holiday book to our collection.
- Write and create our 2013 resolution ornaments.
- Donate food to the food pantry.
- Make these easy and beautiful snow globes.
- Make popcorn and share stories about Christmas memories
For more advent inspiration…
- Giant Advent Calendar DIY by Oh Happy Day
- DIY Pinata Advent by Handmade Charlotte
- Advent Calendar DIY and Free Printables Round-Up by Oh the Lovely Things
- 24 Family Advent Activities by Modern Parents Messy Kids